Wood Stove Certifications

EPA certified? UL Listed? CSA certified?

We get questions about wood stove certification all the time. It can be confusing and it varies from town to town and structure to structure so we don't maintain a list of every municipality's requirements, but we can likely point you in the right direction.

Do I need my wood stove to be certified?

Like most small stoves on the market, our Dwarf stoves are designed specifically for small recreational or temporary spaces less than 500 square feet like tents, RVs, boats, and tiny homes on wheels. The Dwarf stove is not certified (UL/CSA) or approved (EPA) for residential heating and is offered for recreational, portable, or temporary use only.

In some cases, local codes may permit the use of a non-certified stove in a residential building. However, the US EPA prohibits installing new unapproved wood stoves like the Dwarf in permanent residential structures anywhere in the United States.

If you are not sure if your space requires a UL-listed or EPA-certified stove, it’s best to speak with a building inspector or your insurance agent. Some areas allow installations of non-certified stoves after meeting certain requirements. 

Do I need my chimney pipe to be UL listed?

Again, it would be best to check with a building inspector or insurance agent to find out your local regulations. Our stovepipes are built with the same materials and in the same factory as UL-103HT pipe, but they are a small-batch custom product in smaller sizes that are not listed. If you need listed pipe, you should check out the 5" Ventis chimney pipe we carry. 

If you have any questions about stove certifications, feel free to reach out to us via phone or email.

1 thought on “Certification”

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Scroll to Top